December 14, 2011

I Like You

It's an awkward thing to say in a relationship, and the same goes for expressing interest to medical schools (this is in response to a comment from November 28.) I have several thoughts on this issue.

- It's late enough (now) in the interview season that you are likely starting to have a sense for which medical schools will be your top choices. You see, at the beginning of interview season, when an applicant says, "I like you," I think to myself, "I don't believe you." How could you know?! There are too many fish in the sea. But by now, you've sewn some oats; expressing sincere interest means something. So, one potential thing is to overtly express interest when you send your thank you notes. Something like...
"I have nearly completed my interviews, and I anticipate that ___ with be one of my very top choices. I would be absolutely delighted to become a medical student at ___."
- That said, saying it in a thank you note is not enough. I HIGHLY recommend sending a letter of interest to your top choice. But, be cautious. You should not be sending multiple letters of interest. Your word means something. While the above comment could be sent in thank yous to, say, your top three choices, a letter of interest should be sent to just one. I would send it electronically so that it can easily be forwarded (if necessary) and so that it makes it into your electronic file. Be brief, personal, and sincere. Say why you think the school is a good fit (as opposed to just saying that it is a good fit).

Just yesterday, I was chatting with a current first year at my school who says that this time last year she knew my school was her first choice. She sent an email to one of her interviewers because she had been waitlisted, and he recommended that she write a letter to the admissions committee expressing her sincere interest in attending. Although a waitlist is a slightly different scenario, she was delighted to report she got in shortly thereafter. Admissions committees often look kindly upon these communications. You have nothing to lose, so go for it! If you message me, I will happily review yours.

5 comments:

  1. Mind reviewing mine? Couldn't figure out how to message so just posted a comment instead =). I'm at robbieflick[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this bit of information. As a current applicant who has a clear favorite, I will keep these tips in mind. What are your thoughts on letters of interest prior to an interview? And what are your thoughts on sending multiple letters of interest to just one school... in hopes of attaining an interview/ spot in the class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letters of interest prior to an interview are absolutely fine - if you haven't been offered an interview, you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain, right? I would aim for short and sweet...and professional. As for multiple letters, I don't think there is much to add after one. Thus far this season, I have only interviewed one applicant whose file indicated two prior communications with the admissions committee. In that applicant's case, one communication was an AMCAS clarification and the second was an update/expression of interest. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I am the "anonymous" commenter who sent you the question regarding letters of interest prior to interview invitations. I just wanted to thank you for the answer and let you know that after sending the letter and calling the office, I was sent an interview invitation on the same afternoon from my top choice school. I am absolutely delighted!

      Delete
    2. What wonderful news! Thanks for letting me know, and GOOD LUCK making your final decision!

      Delete